Thursday, January 5, 2012

Do you Doubt?

I was reading the story of Nephi and the Brass Plates today (yup, new years resolution...still going strong) and all the characters except two experience significant doubt - about what they are asked to do, if they really can do it, etc.

Got me thinking. 

How much don't we do because we doubt?  What do we talk ourselves out of, BEFORE WE EVEN TRY, because we question whether we will be able to do it or not?


I kind of went through this a few months ago, before I really decided to jump into the writing thing without abandon.  Why not?   What's the worse that could happen?

So I got thinking about other things that I don't do because I doubt I can in the first place. 

Doubting stops now. 

So, I've reset my goodreads reading goal to read 50 books this year.  I think I can do it, but think about it.  What happens if I don't? I read lots of fun books, write lots of reviews and...?  And if I accomplish it, I prove to myself that I can do it. 

I really want to finish losing the weight I started on a while ago.  So I'm eating healthier - but not extreme.  And if I don't lose that weight, I really could live the rest of my life in the shape I'm in an it would be okay. 

What could you do in your life to get rid of doubt?  What have you always wanted to do but haven't because you talked yourself out of it?

2 comments:

Mellissa said...

This is such a great thought. I completely agree that we tend to not even attempt things because we think we'll fail. How much more could we succeed if we tried everything?!

Danny and Cathy said...

very true. and I don't even know what i'd do if i didn't have doubt I think it happens without me even realizing i'm doubting myself. something good to think about though...