Monday, October 10, 2011

Are you ever alone?

Okay, this isn't some deep philosophical question or even something about lonliness, depression, etc.  This is probably primarily a question for moms.

Quick assignment.  Open your pictures folder on your computer, and count how many pictures are of JUST you in the last two years. 

Yea, now. 

Seriously.

You back?  Okay.  How many did you find?  I took some time over the weekend to look on all three computers I have access to and that have pictures on it.  Guess how many I found?

Zero.

I do not have one picture of just me.

Why did I suddenly realize this?  Remember how I'm working really hard on being a writer?  Well, I went to a conference where they really encouraged people to start making themselves a brand, even way before publication opportunities, so that there is a following, etc.  So I started a new blog, with a blogging schedule, for this purpose, and to keep me focused, and I wanted to have a picture of just me because then I'm my own brand.  You know?

There aren't any.  Okay, there are two, with me eating a cookie.  From an angle that makes it look like my neck morphs into my chin, which is a great look for a linebacker in the NFL, but not the preferable marketing approach I wanted for a 33 year old female.

I know, right?  Crazy.

When talking about this with a friend, she mentioned that once we have kids, we are no longer our own entity.  The other picture I could maybe use is on my teacher page at the website, 30 pounds ago, and I HATE it. 

I guess I'm going to have to start figuring out how to take pictures of myself. 

Don't worry.  I won't succomb to the trend of making kissy faces when I do though.

6 comments:

Charlotte said...

You could start an etsy shop (in all your spare time). I have probably 50 shots of just me taken in the past month alone. Yes, all of them have me in a hat or scarf of some sort, and at least 35 of them are absolute out-takes, but that doesn't matter, right?

Right?

Of course, without the hat or scarf, there's really very few pictures with me in them period. Ah well.

Mellissa said...

Way too funny about the cookie!

I think there aren't that many of me because I'm usually the one behind the camera, which is OK by me. I hate having my picture taken. I usually stick out my tongue.

I'd be happy to take a few photos of you.

Oh, and I meant to tell you when I saw you at Walmart--you look great! :)

Tasha Seegmiller said...

Charlotte - I can swear with absolute confidence I will never have an etsy shop. I did not inherit that gene.

Missy - thanks! BTW I'm really glad you haven't cut your hair. It's really beautiful.

Harmony said...

I'd be happy to practice my headshot skills on you sometime too. :-)

Erin said...

Be ready...I have a camera with me frequently!

Anonymous said...

Love this! None. Period. Not even eating a cookie with morphing chinecks.

Getting a professional headshot is something I definitely need to do as well.

Though I keep hoping I get a book sold, so I feel justified in the vanity and expense of it all.

Until then, I guess I'll crop my Dear Hubby and lovely kids out of my pictures!

Hugs~