Monday, September 26, 2011

The Order of Dreams

I have many dreams.  While this statement could be true about the visions my sub-conscious creates during those blessed times of R.E.M., what I'm really talking about is life dreams aka goals, aspirations, what-I-want-to-be-when-I-grow-up kind of dreams. 

I really want to do a triathlon. 

I really want to learn how to play Gershwin's Concerto in F, Shostakovich's 2nd piano concerto and Rhapsody in Blue. 

I want to finish traveling to all 50 states.

I want to see England - all of it.

Here's the thing I realized though.  I'm 33 years old.  Some of these dreams are going to have to go on a list of prioritization. 

Do I WANT to do this?  No.  I really would like to think that I could just chase after all my dreams all at once. 

But I get to have some dreams now.  I get to live out my dream of being a mom.  I get to have my dream continue of a great marriage.  I get to interact with really awesome teenagers on a daily basis, prepping them for college and life.  And I get to chase my dream of "becoming a writer." 

The writing one has moved way up the list, in part because I have joined a writer's group that meets every other week and I have the external motivation to write.  Lots.  Every day.

However, I had the realization last week that chasing this dream meant giving up another, at least for now.  The triathlon had to be moved.  Training for it and trying to write just didn't work.  I was too tired from the heightened workouts in the morning to be able to write at night.  And it was truly making me sad. 

I'm working on my physical fitness in other ways, trying for an overall improvement.  I've taken to riding my bike more to get places when it's just me, in part for the fitness aspect and in part because the economy/gas prices/I just can't make enough money issue. 

So how to order dreams?  For me, I had to go with which ones were pulling at my heart strings the most - which ones were causing me sadness for not chasing - which ones I just knew I needed to work on now. 

Will I get to all the other ones?  I don't know.  But I'm loving the chase right now. 

1 comment:

Mellissa said...

Love this post. I'm so happy for you that you're chasing your writing dream and enjoying it! I have a friend who keeps trying to get me to join her writing group, but I don't have it in me right now. So, go you!