Monday, January 11, 2010

Mmm Mmm Monday - Congo Squares or Blondies

When Enoch and I first got married, we did the traditional "I like these" or "I don't like these". Much to both of our delight, we found that we both like these. The difference is I grew up calling them Congo Squares (Why? I have no idea - that's just what they have always been called) and Enoch called them Blondies. The thing I really love about these is they are ridiculously easy, a foolproof recipe and super fast to make. Like from started to done in about 30 minutes. No need to spend the next hour or so in the kitchen adding cookie dough, removing cooled cookies, repeat.

Blondies/Congo Squares
1 cup butter/margarine
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups sugar
3 tsp vanilla
5 eggs
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
5 cups flour (also good to do half white and half wheat flour)
1 package chocolate chips
3 Tbs water (this isn't always necessary but add one at a time if the dough is crumbly - it should be a firmer cookie dough)
Mix all together, in order (I like to do the sugar, eggs and vanilla first and mix just to make sure there aren't weird chunks of sugar) and pour (dump) mixture onto a greased cookie sheet (obviously, make sure it is a cookie sheet with sides. I know, you would think this sort of thing would be self explanatory, but I've learned not to assume) Bake at 325 for 25+ minutes ( you are looking for the coloring in the middle to be a golden brown. Your edges will probably be a little darker than the middle). Let cool, cut into squares and serve.
BTW this is REALLY good with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and some chocolate sauce drizzled over...I'm just sayin'...
Enjoy!

No comments: