Monday, January 4, 2010

Mmm Mmm Monday - Kit Kats

One of my New Year's resolutions is what I'm calling Mmm Mmm Monday. On each Monday, I will make a new treat. My goal is to never repeat a recipe within a quarter. Luckily, I have an amazing mom who always seems to have the inside scoop on new treats and I still have some in the recipe book she gave me years ago. This week is a treat she calls Kit Kats.

These are pretty easy to make and really don't take much time. You may even already have all the ingredients in your house. (Okay, maybe not the whole milk)

Here's how to make these delicious sweets.

KIT KATS

Box of Club Crackers

1 Cup of Butter

2 cups graham cracker flour (blend or process until VERY fine)

1 c firmly packed brown sugar

1/2 cup whole milk

1/3 c sugar

2/3 c creamy peanut butter

1/2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips

1/2 c butterscotch chips

Line an ungreased 9x13 pan with club crackers. Make them fit. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the graham cracker flour, brown sugar, milk and sugar. Bring to a boil (still medium heat). When you first see bubbles, start a timer for five minutes and stir constantly. Then, remove from heat and pour half of the mixture over the crackers (pour it slowly and around the edges first - makes it easier to even out). Add another layer of club crackers, lining them up directly over the first layer, then add the rest of the mixture. Add one more layer of club crackers. In a small saucepan, combine the chips and peanut butter. Melt slowly and spread over the top of the last layer of crackers. Gently shake the pan to even out the chocolate mixture. Chill at least one hour, cut along cracker lines and serve.

Note: because of the chocolate on top, these really are best served while still chilled so you don't have a melted chocolatey mess.

3 comments:

Mellissa said...

Yeah, because this is really going to help me shed the pounds I picked up during the Christmas break! You naughty woman! By the way, I've never seen your kids until this post. They are cute as can be! That little blond gal looks like your dad.

Unknown said...

Those look soo good! Yum! I'm definitely copying this one down. Thanks for sharing! What a great idea!

Vanessa said...

Yummo! Seriously looks so good. I wish I could run over to your house and eat some!