Saturday, July 28, 2007

NEW CAR!!!!!

Two weekends ago, we were in Glendale, UT and while driving home (either on the way home or shortly after) we lost the overdrive gear on my stupid Pontiac Montana. We toyed with the idea of fixing it, but when we realized that it would cost as much to fix the dang thing as it would to sell it outright, and knowing that I can walk into our local mechanic shop and have them know me by name and vehicle, and the fact that I need a reliable vehicle to get to and from work in the upcoming school year, we decided to upgrade.

What I didn't plan on or expect is how much it would cost to buy a new vehicle, and not in the way that you are assuming right now. I looked at used first, have a thrifty minded tendency that occasionally surfaces, but I did not want a vehicle with more than 70,000 miles on it because that is what my van had on it when we bought it (maybe a little more) and most vehicles, when they hit that mileage, have lots of problems start to pick up, and as much as I like visiting with my mechanic, I think that our relationship is too familiar and one sided - me always giving them money. The problem/great thing I discovered is that all the vehicles that had under 70,000 miles on it were only $5,000 less than new models...which I would easily put into repairs over the next few years, along with the stress of not knowing how long the vehicle will last, etc. So we bought a new car!!!!

My new mode of travel too and from soccer games, Walmart, Cedar High, etc. is a 2007 GMC Yukon. It only has the first bench behind the driver/passenger chair, which is exactly what I wanted because now I have four feet behind the kids seat to put groceries, chairs, strollers, change of clothes, backpacks, etc. I love it, the reliability, the WARRANTY!!! and the lumbar support in the front seats. I'll take a pic and post it in a bit.

No comments: