Sunday, August 31, 2008

Specials

This is the final book in the Uglies trilogy, and for many reasons, I think it was my least favorite. There were certain elements that were very fun - the skintennas, the speed at which they could heal and the new abilities, but it was scary to me because of how much of the Tally I came to really like from the first two books was gone.

I found it very interesting that the technique used by all the specials to feel more alive and alert was cutting. I appreciate how Westerfeld really addressed some of the main issues facing young girls today (one of which is definitely cutting) and showing his readers how there are different ways to get that high that they think certain behaviors give them.

I liked that Westerfeld again kept the action moving, introducing again other elements of this society that are the norm, but using them to show that, really, there isn't a society that has quite figured it all out yet.

I liked that Tally could once again reach within herself to figure out who/what she really was, that there was some tragedy that occurred that many YA authors are afraid to do in killing a main character and I do feel like there was some resolution to the series without it having to be "and they all lived happily ever after."

All in all I would recommend this series to anyone who likes to read and anyone who has a pre-adolescent daughter. Absolutely a great conversation starter.

Happy Reading!!!

No comments: