Friday, September 25, 2009

Sea of Monsters

This is the second book in the Percy Jackson series. I knew I had to read the next one after finishing The Lightning Thief, and really, the title and cover are just intriguing.

This book finds Percy once again trying to find success in a school only to have things once again go terribly wrong. He has his dodgeball game interrupted by a gang of cannibalistic giants and found out that the usually safe Half-Blood Hill is no longer safe and that he must help find a way to restore the safety.

There are parts of me that enjoyed this story more - it has many parallels with Homer's Odyssey, interacting with some of the creatures that are familiar to those who have read it (which I have about seven times). I like that Percy is still on a personal quest to discover who he really is, what all these events that keep forcing him to react really have to do with who he is as a person/demigod/kid. I thought the plot was well thought out, the commitment Riordan has to staying true to the ancient stories is admirable, and I was delighted with this reading experience. I'm hoping to get to the third very soon.

No comments: