Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Shiver

I heard about this book pre-publication and was completely intrigued. It takes the concept of werewolves, but instead of them changing with a full moon, they change seasonally when the weather gets cold. So the element of curiosity is heightened because during the summer, the people meet others but then just disappear for many months at a time.

This is the story of Sam, a teen werewolf who develops a crush on a girl he sees during the summer. Grace has a deep fascination with a wolf who saved her when she was a child - a wolf with penetrating yellow eyes. She sees him in the woods during the winter and knows he is watching her. Then she meets a boy who has those same eyes, knows it's her wolf and the story begins.

I don't know about you, but there have been very few reading experiences that were like those that I had with Twilight. True, it isn't the most intellectual reading, it requires a little imagination and the possibility of this kind of relationship ever happening is far fetched and preposterous. I didn't care. I LOVED this book - and I'm an Edward fan. The plots had twists, suspense and intrigue - the writing is tight even if it is at times fluff. I really want to read this again to slow down and just enjoy it. I read it very fast the first time because I HAD to know what would happen. If you have been looking for a book to enjoy (especially if you enjoyed Twilight) I really don't think you can go wrong with this one.

No comments: