Friday, February 26, 2010

Going Bovine

I had heard a great deal about this book but never came across anyone who had read it yet, so I thought I'd give it a go. The cover and the title peaked my interest - really? Going Bovine? There is no way this book is going to be any good. But low and behold it was - in its own very unique way.

This is the story of a boy named Cameron who has a sister, mom and dad but they all kindof live together but only as beings that co-exist. His sister, Jenna, is super popular, and he's a loser. He has an experience where he smokes some weed, thinks he got a bad batch because of the continued strange hallucinations only to discover after one incident that he in fact has Mad Cow Disease, and the lesions in his brain are causing the hallucinations. Then, while in the hospital, a punk angel with bright pink wings comes to visit him with a quest to save the world from the attacking parallel universe and find Dr. X, the only man who can save him. He grabs his roommate, a dwarf named Gonzo, and together they embark on the journey to save the world and each other before his E ticket runs out.

I know, right? Strange. But I couldn't stop reading! I wanted to know if this was reality or Mad Cow hallucinations, if Dulcie (the punk angel) really knew what was going on or if she was just the messenger as she said. I was giving up a little when they met the talking yard gnome who is really a Viking god that was transformed by a trickster. I know this book isn't for everyone, and there is more bad language that many will feel comfortable reading, eventhough it is absolutely spot on for the characters. The conclusion was perfect and sentimental and I really am glad I took the time to read this book.

No comments: