Monday, July 12, 2010

City of Ashes

Okay, so I obviously really enjoyed the first book in this series - I think I read it in two days.  I was intrigued by this one not only because of the fact that it is the second in the series, but the cover is intriguing.  But again, there are many times when the second book is just ho-hum, kindof moving things but not much happening, but has to be read to figure out what is happening in the third.  Boy oh boy, not this one.

This book continues following Clary as she is trying to figure out what has happened to her mother, what kind of relationship she has with Simon and Jace, what her role is in everything that is going on around her, and quickly coming to the realization that her life will never be the normal she used to be familiar with.  Various underworlders are dying and the blame is being passed around through all the different groups of people, but none of it makes sense.  And just as a teaser, Clary discovers she is good for something that no one else can do.

I know what some of you are thinking - this review is following the other pretty quickly.  Yeah.  Want to know what I did today?  I read this book.  There were very few things that warranted me putting it down today until I was finished. 

Yes, it is that good. 

While there weren't as many twists as in the first, I really felt this did a great job progressing the plot and developing the characters during the action to make them more endearing and "people"  that the reader cares about.  I'm fascinated at the development of the story, the hook at the end of this and desperately want to read the third.  Right now.

No comments: