Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Historian

Not since I read The Fountainhead almost two years ago have I come across a book that was so long but didn't seem like it at all. The hardbound copy of The Historian is 704 pages long, paperback 909 and with the exception of one place, I did not feel like I was reading a long book.

There is definitely something great about a book that has letters starting with "My dear and unfortunate successor." This is about a girl who travels with her father, and she finds a book that leads to a series of discussions with her father about his past, his mentor and an adventure that is truly unparalleled. It's about the legend and possible continued existance of Dracula, the role he plays in the lives of the people who discover copies of a certain book, travels all around the globe, including Cold War Europe, twists, turns, suspense and mystery.

This book was so much fun to read. I loved the fact that Kostova could intertwine really three story lines all into one book, but I didn't feel like it was as abrupt as other books have been when the authors switch who they are telling the story through. It has a great historical element, moments of suspense throughout while these characters all try to figure out the answer to the same mystery.

Very well written. Loved it. Go grab your cloves of garlic, silver daggers and read.

No comments: