Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Memory Keeper's Daughter

I just finished this book. It took me a little to get interested in after the first couple of chapters because I had just read New Moon and it is all plot. This book spends more time on the characters and their feelings and the reactions they have to a split second decision.

I was deeply moved by this book, looking at the things that were very different in 1960's from now, like the way that they will treat children born with Down's Syndrome and recognizing women who are suffering from postpartum depression and loss. Throughout the course of the book I found myself having sympathy for each of the characters and a "serves you right" feeling for most at some point. I guess that is one of the reasons that I liked it so much - it was a book with characters who seemed very real and true to life.
I felt happy with the way that is resolved to some extent, I still find myself feeling a great deal of remorse for the father because of the way that it resolved. He did what he thought was right, what he had been taught as a medical professional and one who had dealt with the turmoil of having a sibling with a disability. I think the other characters just didn't have a way to understand what he had gone through.

Anyway, I loved this book, found it to be well written and engaging.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I loved this book too. I passed it on to a few women in the office and they thought it was a book every mother should read. Did you see the Lifetime movie? It was rather cheesy - as is to be expected of anything done on Lifetime - but I thought it was a pretty good considering it was a made for TV movie.

Unknown said...

My favorite part of reding books is usually the characters and there develpment. This sounds like a good one.

It was fun catching up on all you're doing. I'm glad Aunt Janet sent me this link! It looks like y'all have been really busy! That always makes life exciting. Hope we'll get to see you while we're in Cedar next week!