Monday, July 20, 2009

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

I heard about this book from several different people and had several students who would just rant and rave about it, so I had to see what all the fuss was about. I have to say, I didn't really know what the book was about when I got it from the library. This is a powerful book with heart-wrenching experiences and laugh out loud moments.

This is a story about a boy named Oskar. He likes to throw out French words whenever, writes letters to all sorts of scientists and great thinkers with the hopes of being their protege. But primarily, he is a boy who enters survival mode after losing his dad in 9/11. He is convinced that his dad left one last message, one that he must find the clues to uncover, like the games they used to play. Along the way, the reader has the opportunity to discover incredible details about his family, his parents and grandparents.

I loved this book. I don't really know how to describe it or even what category it would fall in - the library I got it from had it labeled as a mystery, which is only partially true. This is a truly amazing book. I adore Oskar. I love the way he just says things, the way he wants to know more, his little expressions. This really was a great read that had me experiencing nearly every emotion possible. Very enjoyable.

No comments: