Friday, December 4, 2009

The Last Olympian

I keep losing track of time to write these - sorry. I picked this book up immediately after I finished The Battle of the Labyrinth. I didn't even want to wait until the next day, and I finished this in about four hours.

This is the final book in the Percy Jackson series. There are times when the final book rushes through, trying to tie up all the loose ends and just bring it to an end. There are many times when I feel a little disappointed at the end of the series because they are so rushed and even sloppy. Fortunately, Riordan paced this book well and it does not disappoint. I liked how the different characters from previous books were incorporated seamlessly, how the climax that had been hinted at throughout all four books was finally created and that it lived up to the hype I created for it in my mind. The battle scenes were just as I hoped, with wit and action and the proper interference by the supernatural to feel normal in the context of the books. I really thought this could have gone very wrong, with the gods all of a sudden utilizing powers they hadn't before, but they stayed true to the form Riordan created for them.

The worst part about reading this book is it is the last in the series. I have found myself wishing there was more, that the stories would continue. I know good things have to come to an end, but if immortals are really immortal, shouldn't they be able to continue with the stories, new adventures, etc? Anyway, I LOVED reading this series, am thrilled that I found them and am very impressed at the appeal from young readers to teens and even old people like me :) Really, if you are looking for a fun series for anyone who can read at this level or above, you will not be disappointed. I promise.

4 comments:

Harmony said...

Maybe it isn't over. If I remember correctly, in his acknowledgments at the end of the book Riordan said this was the final book of the FIRST Olympian series. Sounds like he might have another one planned or in the works.

Harmony said...

Oh, and you probably already know that the movie of The Lightning Thief is coming out in February. I hope it will do the books justice.

Tasha said...

I think they will - the director is the same one who did the first two Harry Potter's - has a tradition of staying true to the books. I hope, hope, hope there are more of these - my students can't stop reading them.

Nishant said...

I hope it will do the books justice.

Work from home India