Friday, May 15, 2009

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

It saddens me to write this review.  I debated for several months about buying this book, thinking that it would be a great book.  I like the idea behind it and read many reviews before getting it.  And even when I started reading it, I enjoyed what was happening, thought it to be well written and the character intriguing.  

But there was a problem.  The sex scenes are gratuitous.  And the sex keeps going even when the main characters aren't involved.  There are a series of murders that have been taking place, and the author describes how each of the girls were murdered, how their bodies were found, and in many cases animals were killed as well.  I couldn't stop reading once I got into the mystery part, but began losing interest in the book as the sex/violence continued with details I just didn't feel needed to be shared in as much detail to keep to the honesty of the plot.   Apparently this book was initially called Men Who Hate Women, and it is true.   The actions against these women is astonishing.  I had really high hopes for this book and wanted to know who committed the murders.

Sadly, I will not be finishing this book.  Apparently it is an international hit, but as I was looking at more and more reviews, several people commented on how they found the sex and violence to get more addictive as the book progresses - no thank you.  And apparently I didn't even read the worst scenes.  I can't recommend this book to anyone.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

Good for you for not finishing the book. I find that mysteries are especially hard to put down, once in the middle.