Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Friday Night Knitting Club

This was a book that I first was interested in when I saw it popping up on best seller lists a while ago. I almost bought it probably five or six times, and then, one day when I was using one of the two Barnes and Noble gift cards that I got for my birthday, I decided it wasn't my dime, but I was curious enough that it warranted an investigation.

I wasn't disappointed.

Kate Jacobs weaves in all these different lives of women, finding ways to keep each one unique and with their own challenges and their own ways to solve them. I love the determination and gritt of Georgia, the reality of raising a teenage daughter and the amazing complications that arise when James (aka Dakota's dad) suddenly shows up after more than ten years and thinks he can just jump in, included and upsizing her efforts with very expensive gifts.

This book is very well written. I didn't feel like there was anything in it that was just filler, and the whole time I was reading it I thought that I would recognize each character if I was to see them in the street. I think this is a very empowering book, kindof feel like it would lose some of it's appeal among male readers, but I could be wrong. I is for adults as there is some sexuality discussed and language at a few points stronger than I think most teens should read.

I will tell you this, though. There are some passages in there, that I am going to save to a file, word for word, to use for future conversations with all of my teens about discovering who they are, living up to who they can be and how to be the best them. There were many life lessons taught that I wish I would have known sooner, but it was done in such an amazing way that I felt like I could still use them in my life.

I highly recommend this book.

No comments: