Tuesday, June 3, 2008

O Happy Day!!!

Since the year Enoch and I got married (almost 9 years ago) I have enjoyed listening to a streaming station of Classic FM which is broadcast from the UK. I listened to it while I wrote a crazy number of papers about works by authors like TS Eliot, Shakespeare, Coleridge, Wordsworth and it helped me maintain my sanity during the semester when Enoch referred to John Milton as my boyfriend because I spent more time with him than with Enoch. The selection of music is just like I like it, never having too much of one instrumentation or period, just my bit of classical heaven.

Then, just over a year ago, apparently some legislation was passed in the UK preventing the stations from broadcasting their shows outside of the UK. I tried and tried to find a way to get that glorious sound once again permeating the occasional chaos of my home and offering serenity when I was prepping whatever at the time, but to no avail. I tried several of the other stations that broadcast classical music, but it just wasn't the same, they would have different programs. It's like when Enoch likes to mess with me and hold my hand differently than he normally does (normal is fingers interlocked with his thumb on top of mine - he torments me by putting my thumb on top) He is still holding my hand, it's still him but it's just not the same.

Then yesterday, during a period of longing, I returned to the Classic FM site and much to my joy and delight, the station is once again streaming to all nations!!! I'm so happy - I get to listen to the lovely British accents again, enjoy that perfect variety of music and the sweet serenity of the stress leaving me. I don't listen to classical music all the time, but when I have had a seriously stressful day, there nothing quite like Classic FM.

1 comment:

Harmony said...

Cool! We'll have to check it out and see if it's any better than WGUC online out of Cincinnati.